The Desmos calculator takes full advantage of many new web technologies to do what it does. Modern web browsers (like Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and IE11) provide the features that we need to draw graphs with smooth curves, to respond to input instantly, and to perform heavy computations quickly.
Older web browsers (such as Internet Explorer 8) don't have the same capabilities, which causes three kinds of problems:
- Some features just don't work at all.
- Many features will work, but be much slower or less responsive (e.g. the system won't allowing you to click anywhere while a graph is updating).
- It requires a lot of time to keep every new feature working on older browsers, and limits what we can do. We think that time is better spent improving the experience for users on the browsers that do work well with the Desmos calculator.
- Chrome (available for all computers, and recommended for Android devices)
- Firefox (available for all computers)
- Safari 7+ (already installed on OSX 10.8+ and iOS 7+)
- Internet Explorer 11 or Edge (on Windows 7 or later)